Home > Vessel Monitoring System Reimbursement Program (VMS)
Vessel Monitoring System Reimbursement Program (VMS)
The Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission (PSMFC) collaborates with NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement (OLE) to administer allocated Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) reimbursement funds to eligible vessel owners and operators.
VMS is a satellite surveillance system that primarily monitors the location and movement of commercial fishing vessels in the U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone and treaty areas. The Program supports law enforcement initiatives to prevent violations of laws and regulations and currently monitors more than 4,000 vessels.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: NOAA Fisheries April 4, 2022 Bulletin concerning SE/Charter-For Hire reimbursement cap for EMTU-C units.
1) Eligibility - Review NOAA Fisheries regional, Type-Approved VMS Units information.
• Pacific Islands
• West Coast
• Atlantic Highly Migratory Species
2) Purchase, install through a certified marine technician, and activate a VMS unit.
3) Confirmation Number - Contact NOAA OLE VMS Help Desk at 888.219.9228 to obtain a four-digit confirmation number.
4) Form - Complete and sign VMS Reimbursement Request
5) Include document copies
• Paid Itemized Sales Invoice with transmitter number listed on it
• Federal Fisheries Permit
• Vessel Certificate of Documentation or State Registration
6) Email, mail, or fax:
Mail: PSMFC - VMS
205 SE Spokane St., Ste. 100
Portland, OR 97202