In addition to the project overview below, there is a flyer that describes the Fisheries Economics Data Program and its undertakings. Click here for a pdf version of this flyer.
You will need a pdf view, such as Acrobat Reader to view this file. If you do not have a pdf viewer, you may download one for free at the Adobe website.
The Fisheries Economics Data Program is a cooperative data collection effort to address the needs of fisheries managers and industry for economic data and information on the West Coast and in Alaska.
This project is being conducted by the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission as part of a cooperative agreement with the National Marine Fisheries Service and with the help of the Pacific Fishery Management Council and the North Pacific Fishery Management Council.
- To provide reliable and timely data to assist with the monitoring and measuring of the economic performance of the harvesting and processing components of West Coast and Alaska fisheries.
- To provide reliable and timely data to assist with analyzing the economic effects of present and future management decisions on these fisheries and fishing communities.
- To collect data periodically through industry cost and effort surveys. Each year the principal focus of this data collection program will be on a different set of fisheries or on a different set of participants in these fisheries. See the Survey section of this web site for more information.
- To identify existing sources of economic data related to West Coast and Alaska commercial fisheries.Several of datasets are available in the Data section of this web site. The Resources and Publications section of this web site provides bibliographic information about several other sources of interest to fisheries economists and those interested with the impacts of management decisions.
- To collect spot fuel prices at fuel docks in selected ports along the West Coast and Alaska each month to create an index of marine fuel prices. For more information on West Coast fuel price collection, click here. For more information on Alaska fuel price collection, click here. For a pdf document with information about both Alaska and West Coast marine fuel price collection, click here
- To establish this web page which will act as a central repository for information related to this project including the survey instruments used, summary results of surveys, datasets of use to fisheries economists and a database of fisheries economic resources/publications.
- To design a classification scheme for West Coast fishing industry vessels and processors based upon such items as home port, current and historical participation by species, various vessel features, permit ownership, and/or geographical range of landings.
Return to Fisheries Economics Data Program
Search | Contacts | Site Map | Feedback
Friday, 02-Mar-2012 10:27:34 PST